Wycliffe Book Club
Wycliffe College's Book Clubs seek to encourage conversation and foster deeper engagement with a wide variety of topics and writers. Although some book clubs delve into quite diverse topics, we are especially interested in how these intersect faith, discipleship, theology, and mission. You don't need to be connected to the college to take part in a book club. Book clubs are open to anybody, wherever you are on your journey. Click on the book clubs below to see more information.
Fill out this form to register for a current book club or be notified of new book clubs as they are added.
Interested in other ways to engage in lively theological conversation? Check out Theology Pub, a Wycliffe favourite!
- Demonstrate Mutual Respect
- Seek Mutual Edification
- Biblically Grounded Reflection
- Fair, Open, and Free Dialogue
- Seeking to understand, not to be understood
- Intellectual Rigour and Honesty
- Willingness to allow the Holy Spirit to speak to us
- If you are hoping to participate in the small group discussions, please come prepared. These conversations are marked by a lot of bias, misinformation, anecdotes, and ignorance. The goal is to read something that you would not normally read, sympathetically engage with it, and to grow in your understanding of another perspective.
- We hope to foster a safe and open space for conversation. Please help contribute to this atmosphere by providing your colleagues an opportunity to share their opinions freely. Equally, if you share an opinion please afford your colleague an opportunity to gracefully disagree. At the end of the day, we are all in this together.
- We want everyone to have the chance to speak. Please give space to everyone who wishes to express an opinion or question. Also, some may feel compelled to stay silent and listen, we want to give space for people to do that as well.
To participate in the conversation you will require a desktop/laptop/tablet/smart phone that has a webcam, microphone (a webcam typically has a built in microphone), and speakers. To access the meetng by phone go to https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbqVyZA08T to see a list of available local phones numbers in different regions.
We will be hosting Wycliffe's Book Club on Zoom. If you are new to Zoom visit https://www.youtube.com/embed/hIkCmbvAHQQ?rel=0&autoplay=1&cc_load_policy=1 for a tutorial to join the meeting. Another helpful link is the chat feature (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/203650445-In-meeting-chat). After you register for the session you will receive an email with a link to the Wycliffe Book Club you selected.The link you received is good for all six, so don’t throw out the email.
Zoom runs on Linux, PC, Mac, Tablets, and smart phones. Each platform has its own app and when you attempt to connect the first time you will be given the option to download and install the app. You can do this now by clicking on the Zoom link and step through the process. When you get to the window saying you need to wait for the host to start the meeting you are good to go. If you did this well in advance of the session starting you can close the window and click on the link when the first session is going to start.We request everyone have their video enabled so others get a chance to see who they are talking to. However, after connecting, you experience constant freezing of the speaker or you lose your connection we recommend turning off your video (click on the video camera icon in the bottom left corner.) We encourage people to use Google Chrome or FireFox as your browser.
If you experience difficulties you can email us at email@example.com and we will attempt to assist. As mentioned above, try connecting to the Zoom session now. If you are going to experience problems, this is where it will most likely happen. You should also have a look through the Zoom help videos to get better acquainted with Zoom, https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us.
|Science and Religion: A New Introduction (3rd edition) - Alister McGrath||Sunday 3 PM|
|For the Life of the World - Alexandar Schmemann (Registration closed)||Wednesday 7 PM|