Professor of New Testament and New Testament Greek, Part-Time
Catherine teaches New Testament and Greek at Wycliffe and serves as Priest-in-Charge of St. Matthew’s Anglican Church, Riverdale. She seeks to live the vocation of a “scholar-priest,” serving Christ in both church and academy, in the conviction that the study of theology finds its goal and purpose in the life of the church, as the life of the church nurtures and challenges theological study. Her teaching and research interests include the Gospels, especially Matthew; Second Temple Judaism and Jewish biblical interpretation, Paul and especially women’s interpretation of Paul in the early and medieval church. She seeks to work at the intersection of theology and biblical studies, taking seriously the historical claim of the Scriptures, as well as their witness and function as Word of God. She and her husband David have four adult children and enjoy cycling Toronto’s park trails, singing with the family, and visiting their three lively grandchildren.
Areas of Expertise
- Gospels (esp. Matthew)
- Theological Interpretation of Scripture
- Second Temple Judaism and Early Jewish interpretation of Scripture
- Early Church Women and Interpretation of Scripture—Perpetua, Egeria
- Writing the Gospels: A Dialogue with Francis Watson. Editor, with Joel Willitts. T&T Clark, 2019.
- The Death of Jesus in Matthew: Innocent Blood and the End of Exile. Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- In Spirit and in Truth: The Challenge of Discernment for Canadian Anglicans Today. Editor, with PMB Robinson and George Sumner. Regent: 2009.
- The Homosexuality Debate. Editor. ABC Press, 2003.
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Innocent Blood in Matthew’s Gospel,” in A Handbook on the Jewish Roots of the Gospels. Edited by Craig A. Evans and David Mishkin. Hendrickson, 2022 (forthcoming).
- “From Tamar and Mary to Perpetua: Women and the Word in Matthew,” in Paul and Matthew among Jews and Gentiles: Essays in Honour of Terence L. Donaldson. Edited by Ronald Charles. T&T Clark, 2021.
- “The Death of Judas in Matthew: Matthew 27:9 Reconsidered,” JBL 137.2 (2018): 419-37.
- “Jonathan Edwards, Paul, and the Priority of Holiness: A Variant Reading,” JTI 7 (2013): 1-20.
- “Blood and Secrets: The Retelling of Genesis 1-6,” in What Does the Scripture Say? Studies in the Function of Scripture Early Judaism and Christianity. Vol. 1. Edited by Craig Evans and Danny Zacharias. T&T Clark, 2012.
- “‘His Blood Be upon Us’: Innocent Blood and the Death of Jesus in Matthew” CBQ 70 (2008): 82-100.
- “Egeria,” in Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception. Vol 7: 462-63. De Gruyter, 2009.
- “Remembrance Day,” in Best Sermons 5. HarperCollins, 1992.