Professor of Evangelism, Director of the Institute of Evangelism
DMin (Fuller Theological Seminary)
BA (Western), MScA (McGill), MDiv (Wycliffe)
Judy Paulsen serves as Wycliffe’s Professor of Evangelism and Director of the Institute of Evangelism. As the daughter of Anglican missionaries, she lived her early childhood years in northwest India, prior to moving to Ottawa where she spent her later childhood and teen years. She holds a Master of Applied Science from McGill University, a Master of Divinity from Wycliffe, and a Doctor of Ministry in Missional Leadership from Fuller Theological Seminary. Judy served for fifteen years as a parish priest in the Anglican Diocese of Toronto prior to accepting her present position. During that time she has also served as a speaker at a variety of conferences, retreats and workshops; something she continues to enjoy. Judy’s primary interests lie in effective communication of the gospel in today’s culture, and organizational change in the Church.
Areas of Expertise
- The interactions between the Gospel, Church and Culture
- Contemporary Christian Worship
- Missional Leadership
- Theological interpretation of Scripture
- Judy Paulsen (Ed. and joint author), Patrick Paulsen & Susan Bell. Christian Foundations: A Grounding for a Life of Faith , Wycliffe College, Toronto, ON, 3rd edition, 2019.
- Judy Paulsen (co-author) & Susan Bell. Invited: Exploring Genuine Christian Invitation, The Incorporated Synod of the Diocese of Toronto, Toronto, ON, 2015.
- “How to (and How Not To) Pastor”, in Hard Words for Desperate Times: Going Deep with Ezekiel, Caleb Gunlach (Ed.), Wycliffe Studies in Gospel, Church and Culture, Wipf & Stock, Eugene, OR, 2020. (p. 70-76)
- “Being Intentional in Leadership” in Good News Church: Celebrating the Legacy of Harold Percy. John Bowen & Michael Knowles (Eds.) Burlington, ON: Castle Quay Books, 2018. (p.49-62)
- “Standing Fast in the Meantime” in Behold, I am Coming Soon, Mari Leesment (Ed.), Wycliffe Studies in Gospel, Church and Culture, Wipf and Stock Publishers: Eugene, OR, 2018 . (p.44-48)
- “Hedonism”, in Confronting the Idols of Our Age, Thomas Power (Ed.), Wycliffe Studies in Gospel, Church and Culture, Wipf & Stock, Eugene, OR, 2017.(p. 8-14)
- “Does Messy Church Produce Disciples?”, in Messy Church Theology: Exploring the significance of Messy Church for the Wider Church, George Lings (Ed.), BRF, Abingdon: UK, 2013. (p. 68-90)
- “How by doing what churches told them to do, parents failed their kids.”, Wycliffe College Blog, March 2, 2020.
- “The Evangelism Spectrum – Where are You?” in Good Idea, e-letter of the Wycliffe Institute of Evangelism (June 2018)
- Blog entry, “Maybe the Church Should Make a Spectacle of Itself More Often”, for Faith Today, November 27th, 2017.
- “Unwrapping All Our Gifts: A Neglected Key to Evangelism”, The Wycliffe Booklets on Evangelism, Digory Publishing, Richmond B.C. (October 2004)
Creative Professional Activity
- Webinar, “Helping Our Churches Grasp Their Apostolic Calling”, Diocese of Niagara Clergy Day, Hamilton, ON, May 21st, 2020
- Workshop, “Contextual Evangelism & Discipleship”, Missional Leadership Cohort of Fresh Expressions Canada, Toronto, ON, November 16th, 2019.
- Training Sessions, Development of a Missional Coaching Team for the Diocese of Calgary, Calgary, AB, October 21st to 24th, 2019.
- On-Line Workshop, ”Christian Foundations: Getting to Know this Discipleship Resource”, St. Andrew’s Hall, Vancouver School of Theology, Vancouver, BC, September 26th, 2019.
- Keynote addresses, “Churches That Evangelize: Our Apostolic Calling”, presented at the Diocese of Florida clergy conference, USA, October 22-23, 2018
- Workshop, “Dioceses that Evangelize”, presented to the Bishops/Exec. Track at Disciplulus ‘18, a national discipleship conference, Toronto, ON, October 19th, 2018.
- Keynote addresses: “Discovering, Claiming & Living our Apostolic Calling”, presented to the Diocesan Conference of the Diocese of Caledonia, northwestern B.C., October 11-13th, 2018.
- Keynote addresses: “Cultivating a Diocese that Evangelizes”, presented to the Diocesan Council of the Diocese of Calgary, Alberta, September 28 -29th, 2018.
- Keynote addresses, “Leading Churches That Share the Faith”, presented at the Diocese of Huron Clergy Conferences, Windsor, Ontario, April 26th, 2018, and London, ON, May 4th, 2018.
- Workshop, “Rediscovering Our Apostolic Calling” presented at Jacksonville and Tallahassee, FL, Anglican Diocese of Florida, USA, April 21st and 22nd, 2018.
- Keynote addresses, “Christian Invitation and Formation”, Diocese of Fredericton Clergy Conference, Fredericton, NB, 21st and 22nd, 2016.
- Keynote addresses at Diocesan Conference on Evangelism, Vancouver, BC, “Reaching Up. Reaching Out”, Diocese of New Westminster, British Columbia, November 13, 2010.
- Keynote addresses, National Evangelism Conference for the Christian Reformed Church, Milton, Ontario, January 19, 2008.
- Workshops, “Leadership in Interesting Times” and “Turnaround Churches: What We Can Learn”, Queen’s Theological College: Shaw Transformational Leadership Program, Kingston, Ontario, May 4, 2006 & May17, 2007.