Dr. Victor Shepherd is Professor Emeritus of Theology, Tyndale University. He was appointed the first occupant of the Donald N. and Kathleen G. Bastian Chair of Wesley Studies in 1993, and occupied it for eleven years. He has published academic monographs in Wesley, Luther and Calvin, several books of sermons and church-related items, and hundreds of articles, both academic and professional. From 2002 to 2016 he was an adjunct faculty member in the Faculty of Divinity, Trinity College, University of Toronto, in which position he taught courses in Luther, Wesley and Calvin, and additionally supervised graduate students.
Dr. Shepherd has taught courses in Historical Theology and the Reformation at Emmanuel College (TST), McMaster University, and Memorial University of Newfoundland. He is also appointed to the Graduate Theological Union, University of Oxford, U.K.
Areas of Expertise
- Luther, Calvin, Reformation History (Magisterial, Radical, Elizabethan, Counter-).
- John and Charles Wesley, Eighteenth-Century English History, History of Methodism.
- Karl Barth
- Theological Anthropology
- Jewish-Christian Relations
- Philosophy of Existentialism
Select Publications and Media:
- The Committed Self: An Introduction to Existentialism for Christians, ( 2015)
- Mercy Immense and Free: Essays on Wesley and Wesleyan Theology (Tyndale Series in Wesleyan History and Theology, (2016)
- A Ministry Dearer Than Life: The Pastoral Legacy of John Calvin, (2009)
- Interpreting Martin Luther: An Introduction to His Life and Thought (2008)
- The Nature and Function of Faith in the Theology of John Calvin (1983), ISBN: 0-86554-066-7
Popular and Professional Books
- 信仰深度行 (2012)
- Do You Love Me? – And Other Questions Jesus Asks, (2007)
- Our Evangelical Faith (2006)
- Ponder and Pray (2002), ISBN: 0-88622-177-3
- Witnesses to the Word (2001)
- Soz’un Taniklari [Turkish translation of Witnesses to the Word: Istanbul, 2004.]
- Seasons of Grace (2001)
- Making Sense of Christian Faith: Understood, Challenged and Lived (1987)
- “The ‘Charge’ We Have to ‘Keep’”: Enhancing Gospel-Integrity in Christian Higher Education”, Christian Higher Education in Canada, (2020) [forthcoming]
- “Divine Pathos and the Church: The Cruciform Vulnerability of God”, Divine Suffering: Theology, History and Church Mission, , (2020), [forthcoming]
- “Anti-Semitism in the Reformation Era”, Reformation Then and Now, (2020), [forthcoming]
- “Martin Luther and the Origins of the Reformation”, Reformation Then and Now, (2020), [forthcoming]
- “The Understanding of the Human in Christian Higher Education”, McMaster Divinity College Journal of Theology and Ministry, (2019)
- “Emil L. Fackenheim: Gratitude for the Gift that He Was”, The Reform Jewish Quarterly, (2019
- “Canadian Methodism”, Melton’s Encyclopedia of American Religions (9th Edition); (Farmington Hills, Mich., Gale Group. 2016)
- “The Pastoral Function of Calvin’s Doctrine of Election”, Evangelical Calvinism II, (2016)
- “The Story of Our Life: Written by the God Who Suffers for Us and with Us”, Canadian Theological Review, (2016)